Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Self In Bloom


About 18 months ago, my husband and I decided to shift from our career focused and slightly isolated lives in Florida, to a more family focused life back in our home state of Wisconsin.  We made the move to Madison 6 months ago.  I found that once we moved I was immediately free from any of the self-prescribed labels I had within the 14 years we lived in Florida.  What an amazing opportunity.

If you know me well, then you know that I am no stranger to self-reflection.  I thought I already had a very deep understanding of myself, and the things that brought me joy…. but since our move, I have been on a journey that even I would never have expected.  One of my closest friends somewhat jokingly wrote to me: “Florida had you all wrong”.  I think the truth is that for the 14 years that I was in Florida, I grew and transitioned many times.  Each transition brought me closer and closer to my authentic self.  This latest transition is just another step.  The key is staying open to the opportunities that change can bring. 

The question is:  Who would you be if you moved across the country to a city where no one knew you?  What would you do with your life without the expectations of others (and yourself) hovering over you?        

5 comments:

  1. Dana, you have no idea how timely this is for me! We're facing a possible cross-country move (at this point maybe Houston or Orlando) and I feel like even the possibility is freeing. I want to do it. I don't know that it will happen but I keep telling my husband that sometimes people just need a fresh start.
    This is dippy (you're already thinking I'm crazy) but there's a song in Wicked, "Defying Gravity." Since my recent surgery it almost defines this urge I have to start anew and a move could be a part of that.
    Wow, aren't you glad I commented on your blog? Sorry, it's just a thought I can totally relate to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin- I think that is WONDERFUL!! I know how much you would love to live in Orlando, so I hope that works out for you. There are some Orlando area schools that sure would love to have you once you are ready to return to the work world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, that's so kind! Part of the big change I'm making is that I may not choose to teach. When I decide to change, I change EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often wondered "who" I would be if I were to start fresh in a new state/city, with new surroundings, and no labels or tags... What kind of people would I meet or want to hang out with? In fact I was just thinking about this over the last couple of weeks! Now, I'm not going anywhere of course, but wondering what it would be like, and reflecting on what my clients go through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. My husband and I dream of moving to New York, and as scared as I would be to leave everything we have made, and everyone we know behind, the idea of starting an entirely new life is somewhat exciting!

    ReplyDelete